Protect Your Furbabies from Toxins, Peoria, AZ – Arrowhead Pooper Scoopers

Annually more than 10,000 dogs are poisoned in the United States. They are poisoned when they ingest something around the yard, or within the home. These are items that are safe for humans but toxic to dogs.

According to DogTime.com the top 10 causes of dog poisoning are:

Medications—Many human medications, such as ibuprofen are toxic to dogs. Cold medicines are also toxic, causing seizures and kidney failure. It’s best to keep all medications out of the reach of your pets and store them in something your dog won’t be able to chew through.

Rodent Poison—Dogs and cats often become ill or they die after ingesting poison intended to kill rats or mice. Rodent poison includes the ingredient Bromethalin. If your dog ingests Bromethalin symptoms will appear within a few days, or within a few weeks. Look for an empty food dish as your dog will lose his appetite. You may notice paralysis and seizures. Your dog will need his digestive tract cleaned out immediately, make sure you call your veterinarian right away if you suspect your dog has eaten rodent poison.

Chocolate–Humans love chocolate, but it is a known toxin to dogs. If a small dog ingests a chocolate chip cookie, the end result can be fatal. Call your veterinarian right away to have your dog examined if your dog has ingested chocolate. Symptoms of chocolate ingestion include excessive thirst, pacing, and seizures. The sooner you get your dog to the veterinarian, the better the chance that he will recover fully.

Plants—Common house and garden plants can be toxic to dogs. The ASPCA has a complete list of toxic plants on their side but common toxins include: lilies, crocus, mums and ivy.

Household Cleaners—Household products, such as detergent can be toxic to dogs. Detergent can cause ulcers in your dogs’ mouth while gasoline will cause difficulty in breathing. Once again, call your veterinarian right away if you suspect your dog has eaten something he shouldn’t have.

Snail Bait—Slug and snail bait contain an ingredient called Metaldehyde. This is a poison that affects their nervous system and the only solution is to have your dogs’ stomach pumped. Your dogs’ prognosis depends on the amount of poison he ingested.

Toads—The Colorado River Toad has a protective poison in his skin that is highly toxic to dogs. If your dog gets a hold of one, the result can be fatal if not treated. Flush your dogs’ mouth out with water and call your veterinarian.

Insecticides—If your dog ingests lawn or garden insecticide they may not show classic signs, as mentioned above, but they will become ill. If you notice your dog has a fever, or muscle tremors, have your dog treated. The sooner he sees a veterinarian, the better his prognosis will be.

Heavy Metals—If your dog has been drinking water that contains chlorine, such as water from a swimming pool, he may become ill. Your veterinarian will take a sample of your dogs’ hair to test it for toxicity.

Antifreeze—Dogs consume antifreeze because it tastes sweet to them and they like the smell. Keep antifreeze and brake fluid containers tightly closed and out of your dogs reach. Keep your dog away from access to antifreeze. Keep him out of the driveway and away from the road. Treatment for antifreeze ingestion includes the drug fompeizole and it needs to be given right away. If treatment isn’t started right away, your dog will not survive being poisoned.

Keeping your pet safe from toxins is easy now that you know what some of these toxins are. For more helpful tips on keeping your pets safe, visit www.arrowheadscoopers.com. Arrowhead is the leading pet waste removal service in the greater West Phoenix, Arizona Area. Give them a call today, at (602) 391-0160 for more information. Happy Tails!