One of the most popular Father’s Day activities is grilling out. Maybe Dad likes to do the barbecuing or maybe you’re cooking for Dad but either way you want your yard to be in top shape. Here are some tips to ensure your backyard is looking fabulous for your Father’s Day BBQ.
- Tame the weeds: Unless you are working on a botanical experiment, no one likes to look at weeds. But weeds aren’t just eyesores, they can be hazards as well. They can aggravate allergies, kill your expensive plants, be poisonous to pets and we don’t even want to think about what poison ivy, oak and sumac can do. Make sure you pull weeds from the roots to keep them from growing back. Consider putting control fabric down to prevent future weeds and spread mulch or pebbles to prevent weeds from getting sunlight.
- Light it up: Will your party go on into the night? Make sure you have good lighting. Tiki torches are an easy, summery touch and if you use torches and candles with Citronella, they will provide bug repellent. Want to go a little further with your lighting? String twinkle lights or fun summer string lights or lanterns. Use strong hooks and drape your lights between them. Be sure the end of your string is near the electrical outlet. Another creative, unique idea is to use balloons and LED lights. Turn the LED lights on and put them in the balloons when you blow them up. Use helium to allow them to float but string or a canopy to keep them from floating away.
- Let the games begin: Plan some fun yard games to play with Dad. If you have the equipment, set up croquet or corn hole or horseshoes. Or create your own games. You can make a lawn Twister board with just four cans of spray paint. Create a cardboard template and spray red, blue, yellow and green circles right on your grass. Make a lawn bowling game with plastic soda bottles filled with water. Or speaking of water, what dad doesn’t love squirt guns. Bust out the Super Soaker for tons of fun in the summer heat.
- Give your lawn a manicure: Make sure your guests don’t get lost in the grass. Mowing instantly gives your yard a face-lift and is one of the fastest and easiest ways to make your whole property party ready. Be sure to clear the yard of obstacles before mowing.
- Clean up the poo: And one of the biggest obstacles is dog poop. Before mowing and before partying, make sure your yard is free of doggie land mines. Having a guest step in a pile will surely put a damper on your party. But don’t make Dad do it, it’s his day. And you certainly don’t want to do it. So why not call in the experts to do it for you. Arrowhead Pooper Scoopers Dog Waste Clean-up Service makes life easier for dog owners, with complete cleanup and removal of all dog poop from yards, kennels and dog runs, because you have better things to do with your time! Starting at just $10 a week! We serve most of the Phoenix west valley, including Glendale, Peoria, Sun City, Sun City West and Surprise, plus parts of west Phoenix. Call us at 602-391-0160 or visit our website or Facebook page for more information.
Now that your yard is BBQ ready, fire up the grill and celebrate Dad!