Trick or Treat: Halloween Hazards for Fido, Peoria, AZ – Arrowhead Pooper Scoopers

Summer is winding down, school is back in session and the holiday season is right around the corner. Stores are already stocking shelves in anticipation of Halloween trick-or-treating.   With that in mind, we will begin to discuss the dangers to our dogs that come with this particular time of year. In this blog post, we will be discussing the dangers of Halloween. Halloween is hazardous to our dogs for several reasons, but it is possible to keep them safe when children in costume come knocking on your door begging for the sweet stuff. We’ll talk about candy and costumes in just a bit, first let’s talk about decorations you might have around the house.

Decorations, including pumpkins, are a hazard to your dog. It’s not safe to put a lit candle on the inside of a pumpkin. If you have a curious dog, he might sniff the pumpkin, knocking it over. This is a hazard because not only could it cause a fire, it could also burn your dog. LED lights or lights with a fake flame are a better choice. These won’t cause any harm in case of a pumpkin mishap.

If you decorate with Halloween lights make sure the chords are not within reach of your dog. Keep them up off the floor so your dog won’t be tempted to chew on them. If your dog chews on the lights, this could cause an electrocution. It’s also a fire hazard.

When children do arrive on your doorstep, please make sure your dog is in a safe location.  When the doorbell rings, again, and again, it might begin to stress out even the most well behaved dog. Dogs that are already nervous might try to bolt from the house. Knowing that, it’s important to keep your dogs identification tags up to date

Halloween is also about candy, the candy we buy to pass out, and the candy our children collect when they hit the streets to trick-or-treat. We might even sneak a piece or two of the good stuff, and it probably won’t harm us, but what about our dogs?

It’s not good for them to eat candy, especially chocolate. When your dog ingests a piece of candy wrapped in foil or cellophane, the wrapper may be hazardous if swallowed. Keep all candy sealed and out of reach of your dog. If your dog does eat chocolate, be sure to contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. Chocolate can be fatal to your dog if he’s not treated right away.

Once you’ve done all you can to protect your dog, don’t forget to have a little fun. Pet costumes can be found at nearly every retail department store or pet boutique. Pick out your pet costume early and make sure your dog doesn’t mind wearing it. Don’t force him to wear it if he seems uncomfortable.

For more helpful tips on keeping your dog happy, safe, and healthy, keep reading our blog at www.arrowheadscoopers.com. Give us a call today at (602) 391-0160 for a free pet waste removal quote. See customer reviews and more as well on our website. Arrowhead is the leading pet waste removal service in the greater Glendale, and greater Peoria, Arizona area. Happy Tails!