As dog owners we know not to give our dogs’ bones that are brittle. Chicken and turkey bones could splinter causing gastrointestinal distress or even death. Now however, that warning goes beyond bones found at the kitchen table. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says “bone treats” purchased at your local pet store might cause the same effect.
In recent weeks the FDA has received 68 reports of pet illness associated with the consumption of “bone treats.” “Bone treats” differ from butcher bones because they are processed and sold as dog treats at your local pet store. These treats include “Ham Bones,” “Pork Femur Bones,” “Rib Bones,” and “Smoky Knuckle Bones.” The bones are processed through smoking or baking and they may contain ingredients such as smoke flavoring and seasonings.
Gastrointestinal obstructions in the digestive tract
Cuts and wounds within the mouth
Bleeding from the rectum
At least fifteen dog deaths have been reported from dog owners whose dogs consumed these “bone treats.” Reports to the FDA came from owners of 90 dogs. Out of these reports, seven reported bones that were moldy while others reported bones that splintered.
Chicken bones and other bones from the table can cause injury when chewed by your dog. Keep all bones out of reach while cooking or cleaning up after a meal. Dogs are experts at digging through the garbage can, be careful when disposing of a chicken or turkey carcass.
If you have questions or concerns about toys or treats don’t hesitate to contact your veterinarian. He or she might be able to suggest alternative toys or treats that are acceptable for your dog to chew on.
One alternative to give your dog, instead of a bone, is the Petsages Dogwood Durable Stick Dog Toy. Sold by Drs. Foster and Smith, this durable toy has the look and feel of wood, but unlike bones, this toy won’t splinter when chewed on by your dog. It comes in three sizes, small, medium and large. Prices start at just $4.99. According to their website, dogs love the natural wood aroma while chewing on something safe. The outer texture helps clean away food debris and from your dogs’ teeth while he chews. It’s non-toxic but meant only for chewing, and not consuming. When giving your dog a treat or a toy, it’s best to supervise him or her while they eat and play.
Today we would like to thank http://www.fda.gov and drs.fostersmith.com for helping us with this post.
This post has been brought to you today by Arrowhead Scoopers. Arrowhead is the leading pet waste removal service in the West Phoenix area, including Glendale, Peoria, and Surprise. Give them a call today at (602) 391-0160 to receive your free quote. Rates start at just $10.00 per week. See their website, http://www.arrowheadscoopers.com to view customer reviews and more. Happy Tails!