4 Deadly Plants for Your Furbaby this Christmas, Peoria, AZ – Arrowhead Pooper Scoopers

As we approach the holiday season and Christmas comes to mind, please remember that certain plants are toxic to dogs. Keep them up and out of reach of your furry friend to avoid giving your dog an upset stomach. The following plants are considered dangerous:

Poinsettia

The Poinsettia is a popular plant at Christmas time but keep in mind that it can make your dog or cat sick if ingested. The culprits inside the plant are two components of a milky white sap. These chemicals are called Diterpenoid Euphorbol Esters and Saponin-like Detergents. When these chemicals are ingested your dog may vomit, drool or have diarrhea. If your dog or cat gets either chemical on their skin, they might itch or scratch a little more than usual, but there is no reason to be alarmed. Medical treatment is usually not necessary because symptoms tend to resolve on their own without intervention. The toxicity of the Poinsettia is overblown but don’t be afraid to seek medical treatment from your veterinarian if you feel your dog or cat isn’t getting better on their own.

Christmas Trees

Christmas trees are safe for animals to be around unless your dog or cat happens to run into the tree. If a pine needle becomes stuck in your dog, or cats eye, then it’s best to seek medical treatment to be sure no damage has been done to the eye(s). A natural tree and its sap however, post no danger to your animal, other than a possible upset stomach.

Mistletoe

Mistletoe is very toxic to pets. If you suspect your pet has eaten mistletoe, seek immediate medical help from your veterinarian. Your dog or cat will show signs of poisoning, such as difficulty breathing, low heart rate, or mental instability.

Holly

Holly, like Mistletoe, is also considered to be a poisonous plant. Signs and symptoms of Holly ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, decreased energy and an upset stomach. Once again, seek medical attention from your veterinarian if you suspect your pet has ingested Holly.

Other plants that should be considered off limits include Amaryllis, Daffodils, and Lillies.

Lillies are especially toxic to cats. If your cat ingests any part of the lily plant your cat will be in danger of kidney failure. Your cat may also vomit and experience loss of appetite. Seek medical attention as soon as possible in order to save your cats life.

While these plants are beautiful and nice to have around the house, it is important that your dog or cat not come into contact with any of them, with the main exception being the Christmas tree. Keep these plants out of reach of your dog or cat. Watch your dog or cat closely for signs of plant poisoning and seek medical help if necessary.

For more tips on keeping your dog or cat happy, healthy and safe, keep reading our blog at www.arrowheadscoopers.com. Give them a call today at (602) 391-0160 for a free quote. Rates start at just $10.00 a week. See our website for customer reviews and more. Arrowhead is the leading pet waste removal service in the greater Glendale, and greater Peoria, Arizona, area. Give them a call, today, they look forward to speaking with you! Happy Tails!

 

 


admin August 28, 2017 Blog - Tags: , , , , , ,